Thursday, August 14, 2008

Time flies....


For the life of me I couldn't figure out why I was having such a bad day today. I knew all week that today was one year since my Dad died, but I guess I wasn't expecting to feel so bad/sad/mad or whatever this is. Loosing people you love is something you never get used to, one of my least favorite things about being an adult.

I think the thing I miss most is listening to his stories, no matter how many times I’d heard them, they never got old. My kids loved hearing their Grandpa tell his stories over and over.
He had a great sense of humor, sometimes we would laugh so hard we’d end up crying. Some days we would call each other 4 to 5 times just to joke around or because we were laughing to ourselves about something we remembered.

A few years ago we realized that maybe we joked around with each other too much the day he called to tell me he had fallen and broke his arm. I was in the middle of getting my kids ready for bed, and thinking he was just kidding I told him “that’s not funny, I don’t have time for you messing around right now” and hung up. After a few minutes I started to feel bad for being so short with him so I called him back …and a Fireman answered the phone! I couldn’t believe it, we laughed about it once I got to the hospital.

The painting below was done by my brother, he painted it from a picture of my Dad playing College Baseball.


On a lighter note, I just received a package from a swap that I'm going to go and open :) I'll be sure to share it with you soon.

2 comments:

Linda Summerfield said...

I am so very sorry for your terrible loss. My diabetic Father passed away in 1996 at the age of 58, I had a terrible time every February with the anniversary. I found it helped me to celebrate his life on the date of his death. I make the french food he loved and we listen to his favorite music during dinner. I tell my kids stories about him so they will get to know what kind of person he was. I hope this well help you deal with you very sad anniversary.
Linda

snazzykc said...

I lost my mom 6 years ago. Six years and it still feels like yesterday. It hits at odd moments, usually my birthday or when I am cooking and need to know how to do something. I try to remember the good moments and I reach out to my friends who have lost a parent. Sharing the burden,lessens the pain. Maybe Linda's idea is a good one. Take in a ball game or have a hot dog in his honor.